Re: guile 2012

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: guile 2012
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:27:58 -0800

I feel like I shouldn't get into this discussion for my huge lack of
Guile (and Scheme in general) knowledge. But I will do in any case
:-).

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Gran <address@hidden> wrote:
> <heresy>
[snip]
> I know that you want to believe that if your tech is good enough,
> people will learn Scheme.  For many people, that just won't ever happen.
> It will always be a blocker for increasing the popularity of Guile.
>
> (Did I just propose Dylan?)
> </heresy>

I disagree a bit with this point. People will learn Gule if there are
nice libraries around it (what you said before). People is learning
Clojure and it's being using for real work, and it has parenthesis.
Ruby doesn't have parenthesis, but without Rails, may be it would have
just been another language. Now there's hundreds of companies,
freelancers that base their work in Ruby on Rails. And I'm sure
there's plenty of more cases.

I agree with the weakness of installing 3rd party libraries. I'm
afraid that's true for every language.

Guildhall will probably save Guile from being just another language
used by a few.

That was my half cent. :-)

Aleix