Re: TODO list for Guile R7RS support

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: TODO list for Guile R7RS support
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:35:20 +0900

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Alex Shinn <address@hidden> skribis:
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Alex Shinn <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> That would be for GNU, aka. GNU/Hurd.
>>
>> Wouldn't the feature be better named "hurd" then?
>
> Well, no, because the operating system is called “GNU”, or “GNU/Hurd”
> (“the Hurd” designates the “kernel”, not the OS.)

Well, the suggested "linux" also designates the kernel (and also
arguably the OS depending on what definition you choose).

The list of OS features is not exhaustive - it includes arbitrarily "freebsd"
but not "netbsd" or "openbsd", for instance, and does not include
minor operating systems like "plan9" (already used in chibi).  We
should probably flesh it out a little more, and clarify granularity -
do we include separate features for kernels, OSes and distributions?

>> How can a system be both Hurd and Linux?
>
> For GNU/Linux, one could imagine adding a ‘linux-gnu’ symbol, for
> instance.  Likewise for GNU/kFreeBSD.

I'd like to hear feature recommendations, but you'd need specific
examples of where such features would be useful.  Almost all of
the suggested features are already used in existing libraries, and
those that aren't are likely to be removed.

--
Alex