Re: Growable arrays?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Growable arrays?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:47:05 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> Scheme/Guile vectors are fixed size.  [...]  It is a bit of a nuisance
>> that one can grow a hashtable efficiently and on-demand, but not so an
>> array.
>
> Although Scheme vectors should remain fixed-size for reasons I have
> given elsewhere in this thread, Guile also includes a more complex
> 'array' type that includes features such as arbitrary rank (i.e. number
> of dimensions), arbitrary lower bounds (not just 0), and shared views on
> the same underlying array with arbitrary affine mappings of indices.
>
> Guile 'arrays' cannot currently be resized, but I see no good reason for
> this limitation.  They are already quite complex, and already require a
> second level of pointer indirection.
>
> What do other people think?

Another complex type, this time with quite more serious memory and
performance impact, that can't be implemented on top of a simple
resizable common primitive and has an almost, but not quite, overlapping
underlying feature set?

It's almost as if you _like_ not being able to reuse code.

--
David Kastrup