Extensible vm ops?

From: Tristan Colgate
Subject: Extensible vm ops?
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:07:14 +0100

Hi All,

  Is it possible, or practical, to support addition of VM ops to the
VM dynamically?

  The only use case I am really thinking of is for adding SIMD based
functions for operations on uniform numeric vectors. I realise I could
just take all the funky maths and add it in a C extension, but then
I'm calling out to C, have an extra function call and all that
entails.

  Providing a bunch of hard coded SIMD based vector ops might well be
good enough, but I thought a more general solution might be sexier.
I've no idea how such a thing might look though.

--
Tristan Colgate-McFarlane
----