guile-lib, compiled files, packages

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: guile-lib, compiled files, packages
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 19:27:42 -0400

(I have been sort of using guile for wicked long time, I think since
before 1.0, but I have been not paying attention lately and just
lurking.)

I am maintaining entries for guile and friends in pkgsrc, a portable
packaging system that supports many operating systems, versions of those
systems, and CPU types.  I'm updating from 1.8 to 2.0, and we have both
because of the history of compat issues.

As part of the update, I am flipping guile-lib and g-wrap to build
against guile 2.0 (latest micro release really).

In switching guile-lib, I find that the set of installed files changes
very significantly.  Besides sxml going away (now in guile proper, so
that's fine), I see PLIST diffs like:

-share/guile/site/texinfo.scm
-share/guile/site/texinfo/docbook.scm
-share/guile/site/texinfo/html.scm
-share/guile/site/texinfo/indexing.scm
+share/guile/site/texinfo/nodal-tree.go
 share/guile/site/texinfo/nodal-tree.scm
-share/guile/site/texinfo/plain-text.scm
-share/guile/site/texinfo/reflection.scm
-share/guile/site/texinfo/serialize.scm

which doesn't look right.  On the other hand I see hunks like:

+share/guile/site/apicheck.go
 share/guile/site/apicheck.scm

which look fine -- adding the compiled version and leaving the scm
version.

Is it the case that most of the texinfo code is now in guile 2, except
for nodal-tree, so that seems ok too?

Also, statprof looks withdrawn.

If I'm not confused, I'll press on - but if so would appreciate knowing
it!