Re: Maintenance and future of Guile

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Maintenance and future of Guile
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 13:50:20 -0800

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 04:11:05PM -0500, Olivier Dion via Developers list for
Guile, the GNU extensibility library wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2021, Blake Shaw <blake@nonconstructivism.com> wrote:
> > In a situation like this, I would recommend that we form a little
> > working group to collectively study the implementation of Guile, and
> > with Ludo's suggestions come up with a roadmap for tackling various
> > areas of the repo/compiler/infrastructure that need work, which we
> > could then divide up among ourselves with each of us creating a
> > presentation on our assigned areas, with group hack sessions following
> > each bi-weekly (or whatever) presentation. This way we could
> > distribute the knowledge aquisicition work in a structured fashion
> > while forming a support group for developing a collective
> > understanding of the codebase, as a cohort of sorts.
>
> I think that would be a great idea.  Separating the work across our
> respective forces would be beneficial to the project.  However, that
> would require someone that can organize this workgroup and give it some
> inertia and a direction on where to start.

For what it is worth, I'm a committer, and I've done a fair amount of
patching of core Guile, sporadically over the years.  So I can at least
help a bit.  I know my way around the C side of things.

But also, historically, my availability varies wildly with family,
health, and day job.

v/r
Mike Gran