guile-sources

Really Useful Sites For International Trade Professionals

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites For International Trade Professionals
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:02:23 -0400

Really Useful Sites For International Trade Professionals

Monday, July 23, 2001 Issue 12   VOLUME 1 ISSUE 12
WELCOME
http://fita.org

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals. This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources database at FITA's International Trade / Import-Export Portal at www.fita.org/webindex, an excellent source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 3,000+ sites related to international trade.

To see past issues, click on "Archive" on the bottom of this page or go to FITA's Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals at www.fita.org/useful.html.

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I wrote a weekly e- newsletter that profiled business-oriented Web sites. Now I'm using my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international trade, as well as some fun sites that you'll enjoy visiting.

THE ECONOMIST COUNTRY BRIEFINGS
http://www.economist.com/countries/

The Economist is one of the world's best business magazines, and I'm pleased to report they have a Web site that's full of useful information for businesspeople. One of the best parts of this site is the Economist Country Briefings page at www.economist.com/countries, which has profiles of scores of countries, from Algeria to Vietnam. Here you'll find articles, economic data, political profiles, links to newspapers and government offices, and much more.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS
http://www.multimap.com

I've heard that eventually all cars will come equipped with a computer that gives you driving directions, and even tells you when you've made a wrong turn. Until that happens, geographically challenged people like me will have to rely on the Web to give us accurate directions. For U.S. driving directions, I like Mapquest at www.mapquest.com. I like the way it remembers my address so I don't have to enter it each time I'm looking for directions from my house. And the directions are clear and easy to understand. For driving directions in other countries, Multimap.com at www.multimap.com has maps and directions of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Latvia, Romania, Switzerland, Turkey, the Ukraine, and many others.

CALCULATE THE CHARGES
http://www.xe.net/ccc/

I don't like surprises on my credit card bill, so I'll probably use this next site if I make any purchases while traveling. The Credit Card Charges Calculator at www.xe.net/ccc/ will give you an estimate of the "hidden" charges for purchases in a foreign currency -- what the credit card issuer is adding on for converting the foreign exchange and processing the transaction. This is part of the Universal Currency Converters site at www.xe.net/ucc, which has lots of helpful information for anyone doing international business. One page that looks particularly useful is the Personal Currency Assistant at www.xe.com/pca, which opens a pop-up browser window that allows you to perform currency conversions on the spot while you surf the Web. Other calculators are at Currency Services for Business Travellers at www.xe.com/sitemap.htm#business.

ONLINE BANKING
http://www.bankbranchonline.com

Banks are steadily migrating more services to the Web, and that's fine for us customers, who don't have to deal with crabby bank tellers or humorless loan officers -- we can just do our business online. And Bank Branch Online at www.bankbranchonline.com will help you evaluate what's out there. Here you'll find tips and information about credit cards, loans, checking accounts, and many other aspects of online banking.

Archive

Issue 11
July 09, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 11
Issue 10
June 25, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 10
Issue 9
June 11, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 9
Issue 8
May 28, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 8
Issue 7
May 14, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 7
Issue 6
April 30, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 6
Issue 5
April 16, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 5
Issue 4
April 02, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 4
Issue 3
March 19, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 3
Issue 2
March 05, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 2

[MORE]
   Click on a past issue number to see its content

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2001 The Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights reserved.
Are there topics you'd like to see covered in FITA'S Really Useful Sites? Send suggestions, ideas, or comments to editor John McDonnell at address@hidden =================================================================
This newsletter is distributed by the Federation of International Trade Associations (FITA) for the benefit of the worldwide international trade community. If you have a question regarding this service, please contact FITA by email at address@hidden.

Subscriptions

Enter your email address to subscribe or remove your address from this newsletter.

 Add  Remove
 Send as HTML