guile-sources

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals

From: Federation of International Trade Associations
Subject: Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:25:16 -0400

Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals

Sunday, April 14, 2002 Issue 31   VOLUME 2 ISSUE 8
WELCOME
http://www.fita.org

Here's your latest issue of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals. This free bi-weekly newsletter reviews useful Web sites from the Web Resources database at FITA's International Trade/ Import-Export Portal at www.fita.org, an excellent source for trade leads, news, events, and a link library of 4,000+ sites related to international trade.

If you wish to unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the Subscriptions section or simply click here, enter your email address and click on "remove."

If you are reading this because it was forwarded to you by a colleague and want to subscribe, go to the bottom of this page to the Subscriptions section or simply click here, enter your email address and click on "add."

Please feel free to pass this newsletter on to others.

My name is John McDonnell, and for years I've been writing about useful Web sites for businesspeople, in various publications. Now I've focused on international trade, using my Web research skills to find sites that are useful for international businesspeople, and some sites that are just plain fun for anyone.

Here they are:

TWO SITES FOR BUSINESS FACTS
http://sbs.dnb.com

My first job out of college was in the Advertising department of a magazine, and I remember the first thing we did with a new customer was to get a Dun & Bradstreet report on them. D&B has always been a useful source of information about businesses, and now it's easier than ever to access that information. At D&B Small Business Solutions at sbs.dnb.com you can not only get information about a company (name, address, Web address, names of principals, etc.), you can locate its competitors, compile a list of similar companies that are nearby, track changes to its status, and much more. You can also set up folders to track your own sales prospects, your competitors, your company, and other variables.

While the D&B site has information on U.S. companies If you're trying to research an international company, one of the best places to look is Corporate Information at www.corporateinformation.com. Here you'll find information about 350,000 companies the world over. You can search by company name, stock ticker symbol, industry, or
location. When you select a country, for example, you go to a page of links to information about the companies based in that country. I selected Argentina, and got a page with a list of the top ten companies by market capitalization, plus links to information about Argentina's economy, stock market, currency, legal system, news, industries, and much more.

EAST ASIA LINKS
http://www.Virginia.EDU/~eastasia/easia1...

Years ago I met a businessman who told me, "If I were a young man like you, I'd head straight for the East. That's where the greatest opportunities are for anyone who's ambitious." I never went to Asia, but I still think of it as a place of opportunity, even with all the changes it's gone through in recent years. If you're interested in that part of the world, a very useful gateway to it is the University of Virginia East Asia links page  at www.Virginia.EDU/~eastasia/easia13.html. You simply click on a country (Brunei to Vietnam) and you'll find a wealth of information about the cultures, economies, governments, people, and other aspects of this vibrant region of the world.

There are lots more links to these countries at the FITA site. Go to FITA's International Trade Web Resources at www.fita.org/webindex, click on Regional Resources and Multi-Lateral Trading Areas in the left column or "Search by Country or Region" in the right column, and then scroll down to Asia. Or simply type "Asia" in the search box at www.fita.org.

------------------------------------ Sponsor ------------------------------------

Sprint will lower your company's long-distance telephone bill - or give you $100 in free long distance!
http://www.fita.org/marketplace/sprint_r...

Sprint has been challenging businesses all across America to spend less money on long distance, Sprint will give you a lower bill - lower than their national competitors. Then Sprint will reduce that bill even more - up to 5% with an exclusive FITA Affinity discount. You will get a lower bill. Or Sprint will give you $100 of free long distance. Guaranteed. Offer valid only for U.S. business organizations who spend from $50 to $15,000 a month on long distance.

Click here (www.fita.org/marketplace/sprint_reg.html) for details or to register for the Sprint challenge.

FITA exclusively endorses Sprint. FITA will give you 30 minutes of free long distance calling for registering to accept the Sprint challenge.

Click here (www.fita.org/sprint/sprint_form.html) to register.

DAYPOP
http://www.daypop.com

I'm a sucker for new search engines, and I just found a nifty one called Daypop  at www.daypop.com. It's a current news search engine, which means it will find the latest news for you on whatever keyword you enter. Daypop searches not only traditional news media, but also "Weblogs", which are Web sites where people post news items, diaries, journals, and lots of other stuff -- so you can see what everyone on the Web is saying about whatever topic you choose.

101 RECIPE LINKS
http://www.sharewareplace.com/101/101coo...

The next time I want to find a new recipe for potatoes, I'll go to PotatoHelp.com at www.potatohelp.com. Yes, there really is a site with that name, and I found it at 101 Recipe Links at www.sharewareplace.com/101/101cook.shtml. 101 Recipe Links is just what the name says, a no-frills site with 101 links to places where you can find recipes on the Web. Just scroll down the page at this site and you'll find links to every kind of recipe you can think of (and some you probably wouldn't think of in a million years).

ERRATA
We apologize for some small errors in past issues:

In Issue 30 (the last issue) the link to ArabDataNet.com was not correct in all editions that were sent. The correct URL is www.arabdatanet.com.

In Issue 28 it must be clarified that The International Business Information Directory is a supplement to a published book, International Business Information on the Web. This book can be purchased from the FITA Global Book Shop at fita.org/marketplace/books.html or from Amazon at www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0910965463/federationofin04/.

For archived issues of Really Useful Sites for International Trade Professionals, click on www.fita.org/useful/archives.html.

For a free list of links to useful sites in a wide variety of categories (both business and personal), visit my Web site, www.reallyusefulsites.org.

Archive
Issue 30
April 1, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 7
Issue 29
March 19, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 6
Issue 28
March 4, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 5
Issue 27
February 18, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 4
Issue 26
February 4, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 3
Issue 25
January 21, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 2
Issue 24
January 7, 2002
Vol. 2 Issue 1
Issue 23
December 27, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 23
Issue 22
December 10, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 22
Issue 21
November 26, 2001
Vol. 1 Issue 21

[MORE]
   Click on a past issue number to see its content

Published by Federation of International Trade Associations
Copyright © 2002 The Federation of International Trade Associations. All rights reserved.
Are there topics you'd like to see covered in FITA'S Really Useful Sites? Send suggestions, ideas, or comments to editor John McDonnell at address@hidden. ================================================================= This newsletter is distributed by the Federation of International Trade Associations (FITA) for the benefit of the worldwide international trade community. If you have a question regarding this service, please contact FITA by email at address@hidden.

Subscriptions

Enter your email address in the box below to receive an email each time we post a new issue of our newsletter:

Add Remove
Send as HTML