Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 15:27:40 +0100

Erik Edrosa <address@hidden> writes:

> I think one issue when you want to compare languages like Python to
> Scheme is that these languages are dominated by a single
> implementation.

I read this argument repeatedly, but it does not apply to C and C++, two
of the most widely used languages. Therefore that argument might just
interpret too much into a coincidence — or rather: into a situation
which happens in the beginning of language development.

Even Java nowadays has several different implementations.

> Of course that isn't the only thing needed to make Scheme or Guile more
> popular. I believe a programming language needs a somewhat unique and
> powerful library or framework

From what I know, that’s what ruby had: many people wanted to use rails
and after they already knew ruby well, they also used it for other
tasks.

For Python I’m not sure.

Java had that big company behind it, which marketed it as the best
choice for companies.

> an awesome application to show off the
> power of the language, good tooling, and some luck.

And zealots, never forget zealots. I’d dare to say that people, who
believe that the language or tool is the best thing in existence and
give lots of talks about it, are a far too easily underestimated factor
in the success of any tool.

Best wishes,
Arne