Re: Curiosity: Microkernel implemented in Guile ?

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Curiosity: Microkernel implemented in Guile ?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 23:24:34 +0200

Ognen Duzlevski <maketo@sdf.org> writes:

> I considered embedding a scheme interpreter into a kernel for fun (!)
> but even then (non-commercial interest), I only thought of kernels that
> are actually used by others ;)

There actually are people using the Hurd. Not many, but some. And with
Guix, the hurd is just a service definition away:

 (services (append
            (list
             ; login to temporary hurd-vm via sudo herd start childhurd && ssh
root@localhost -p 10022
             (service hurd-vm-service-type
                      (hurd-vm-configuration
                       (options '("--snapshot" "-cpu host"))
                       (disk-size (* 30 (expt 2 30))) ;30G
                       (memory-size 8192)))             ;8192MiB
;; ... other services ...
)))

Best wishes,
Arne