guix-devel

Re: Accessing derivation build chroot

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Accessing derivation build chroot
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 14:16:56 +0100

Sree Harsha Totakura <address@hidden> skribis:

> I want to debug why a testcase from inetutils package fails.  For
> this, I am running 'make check' in the derivation build directory
> '/tmp/nix-build-inetutils..drv-1' after sourcing a new bash with the
> 'environmental-variables' file present in the same directory.
> However, here the tests pass.  So I came to the conclusion that
> something is amiss in the chroot used to build this derivation.  Any
> hints to how I can access the chroot to run the tests from there?

Accessing the chroot is not really possible.

I would first check some of the common problems, which includes use of
absolute file names such as /bin/sh or /usr/bin/env, use of reverse DNS
lookups (as discussed here recently), or use DNS lookups or network
access in general.

Commit 6dc9931 added details in the manual about what’s in the chroot.
If you need more details, then I suggest looking at
nix/libstore/build.cc::initChild, which sets up the build environment.

HTH!

Ludo’.