guix-devel

Re: torify w3m: ERROR: ld.so: object ‘libtorsoc ks.so’ cannot be preload

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: torify w3m: ERROR: ld.so: object ‘libtorsoc ks.so’ cannot be preloaded
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 12:21:55 -0400

Nikita Karetnikov <address@hidden> writes:

> ‘torify w3m https://check.torproject.org’ returns the following error
> message before showing “Congratulations. This browser is configured to
> use Tor.”  Is it harmless?
>
> ERROR: ld.so: object
> /gnu/store/2g7lx2qz06vlb241gfr6bpyp6mc5a24z-torsocks-1.2/lib/torsocks/libtorsocks.so'
> from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

No, this is an important error.  I'm reasonably sure it means that w3m
is not getting torified at all.  One possibility is that torsocks and
w3m both link to the same shared library, but they are using different
versions of that library.  Try rebuilding both w3m and torsocks to make
sure they are harmonious.

FWIW, I've never tried torifying w3m in this way.  Instead, I use
privoxy.  I configured privoxy to use Tor via SOCKS5, and I set the
http_proxy and https_proxy environment variables so that most web
clients (including w3m and guile 2.0.11) use privoxy.  IIRC, this is
recommended over using torify in most cases.

     Mark