guix-devel

Re: Problem No space left on device

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Problem No space left on device
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:04:56 +0200

Luis Souto Graña <address@hidden> skribis:

> Sorry for the delay in replying. Effectively, I was wrong: hydra
> substitutes work well, but it issues other error now:

OK.

> My new attempt, step by step:

[...]

> # mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda

/dev/sda is the raw disk, so you should first make a partition table on
it, using ‘parted’ for instance.

After that, you can run, say, ‘mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1’.

> # mount /dev/sda /mnt

Here it’s /mnt, so...

> # mkswap /dev/sdb
> # swapon /dev/sdb
> # free -m
>             total    used    free
> Men    2019    115    1904
> swap    10239    0    10239
> # deco start cow-store /mnt/gnuguix

... it should be /mnt as well here, not /mnt/gnuguix.

> service cow-store has been started
> fuse: bad mount point '/.rw-store': No such file or directory

This error could be related, although I don’t quite understand how it
can happen.

> I changed only:  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
>
> #guix system init /mnt/config.scm /mnt
>
> After 2 hours it issues the following error:
>
> /gnu/store/...-grub-2.0.0/sbin/grub-bios-setup:warning:File system 'ext2'
> doesn't support embedding.
> /gnu/store/...-grub-2.0.0/sbin/grub-bios-setup:warning:Embedding is not
> possible. GRUB can only be installedin this setup by using blocklists.
> However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged.
> guix system:error: failed to install GRUB on device '/dev/sda'

This is due to the fact that /dev/sda was made a raw partition, whereas
it should actually contain the partition table and boot record.

HTH,
Ludo’.