guix-devel

Re: Guix mentioned in Journal of Open Source Software (JOSS)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix mentioned in Journal of Open Source Software (JOSS)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:30:21 +0200

Howdy!

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> We published a paper on GeneNetwork which uses Guix for deployment:
>>
>>   http://joss.theoj.org/papers/10.21105/joss.00025
>
> Congratulations on getting the paper accepted!

Indeed, well done!

>> (1) Roel has suggested we should script the binary installation. I think
>> that is a fine idea. That was hurdle one.
>>
>> (2) Hurdle two is fixating the package tree. I would really like a
>>
>>   git pull --version HASH
>
> “guix” or “git”?

I think ‘guix’, but eventually it’ll be almost the same:

I think the plan outlined in this bug report should address your
concerns, Pjotr, and I agree it’d be very useful.

>> (3) I also think the default GUIX key should just be available. Why make
>> guix authorize an extra step? When I install guix, I WANT it.
>
> What default key do you mean?

For substitutes.

Maybe the 7 steps described under “Binary Installation” should be
replaced by a shell script that would be added in the binary tarball?
Hopefully it would be below 20 lines and people could easily check what
it does.

That script could also add the hydra.gnu.org key to the ACL.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.