guix-devel

Re: syntax check before commit and patch: net-perl-psyc

From: ng0
Subject: Re: syntax check before commit and patch: net-perl-psyc
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:39:11 +0000

On 2016-06-14(12:10:05+0200), Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello!
>
> ng0 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > the following is an insert minus the header etc of
> > net-perl-psyc. Before I commit and send in a patch, I'd
> > like to check if there's anything I can improve.
>
> Overall it looks good!
>
> >            (replace
> >             'install
> >             (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
> >               (let* ((out (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
> >                      (doc (string-append out "/share/doc/perl-net-psyc"))
> >                      (libpsyc (string-append out "/lib/psyc/ion"))
> >                      (libperl (string-append out "/lib/perl5/site_perl/"
> >                                              ,(package-version perl)))
> >                      (bin (string-append out "/bin")))
> >                 (copy-recursively "lib/perl5" libperl)
> >                 (copy-recursively "lib/psycion" libpsyc)
> >                 (copy-recursively "bin" bin)
> >                 (install-file "cgi/psycpager" (string-append doc "/cgi"))
> >                 (copy-recursively "contrib" (string-append doc "/contrib"))
> >                 (copy-recursively "hooks" (string-append doc "/hooks"))
> >                 (copy-recursively "sdj" (string-append doc "/sdj"))
> >                 (install-file "README.txt" doc)
> >                 (install-file "TODO.txt" doc)
> >                 #t)))
>
> Doesn’t “./Build install” do that?  (This is what ‘perl-build-system’
> does, see (guix build perl-build-system).)

No, as it's not existing in the perlpsyc repository,
and the install above does what our gentoo overlay
ebuild of Net-PSYC does, which the author of the
software themselves maintains.

~/src/re-src/psyced/perlpsyc/INSTALL.txt:

You can simply move the contents of bin and lib into
the respective directories of /usr/local and things
should work from there. You can also put things into
/usr/depot, then add /usr/depot/bin to your PATH.

You may want to install a perl interpreter.

For a proper integration into your Unix distribution,
reach out for your vendor team.

> >            (add-after 'install 'wrap-programs
> >                       (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
> >                         ;; Make sure all executables in "bin" find the Perl
> > modules
> >                         ;; provided by this package at runtime.
> >                         (let* ((out  (assoc-ref outputs "out"))
> >                                (bin  (string-append out "/bin/"))
> >                                (path (string-append out
> > "/lib/perl5/site_perl")))
> >                           (for-each (lambda (file)
> >                                       (wrap-program file
> >                                         `("PERL5LIB" ":" prefix (,path))))
> >                                     (find-files bin "\\.*$"))
> >                           ;; XXX:
> > hooks/dpa2psyc,examples/{recvtest,sendtest},
> >                           ;; cgi/psycpager,contrib/{makenoise,keefchat
> >                           ;; contrib/MovableTypeBlog/plugins/psyc.pl
> >                           #t))))))
>
> This reminds me that we should eventually update ‘perl-build-system’ to
> have a ‘wrap’ phase similar to that of ‘python-build-system’.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it.
Would you know if other than the source of perl-build-system, the section
7.2.6.1
"Locale Data Compatibility Considerations" and the section above (and below?) in
the manual could serve as an explanation to the authors question of
"Why do you wrap such a simple language as perl?" ?

I know it becomes more obvious once you look more into details, but maybe you
have an explanation which wouldn't take so many turns as mine, or be too simple
("look at the source").

thanks,
--
♥Ⓐ ng0