guix-devel

Re: [PACKAGE] sinit

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: [PACKAGE] sinit
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 09:00:03 +0200

> I'd like to test musl, but I would not know how to test sinit…

I also don't know myself :-)

I know that just building it does not make it pid 1, that will be the next
thing to search...

Ideally, I'd like to make it pid 1, and getting it to just run shepherd on
top, that would be a good first step.

> While I had this (musl) on my todo list as well, is sinit only limited
> to musl? I guess it's not, but I don't know the software.

I don't think it is, I'll try to build it with glibc.

> It would be best if the choice of libc was more dynamic...

It would be cool to be able to do a full musl (or other libc) -based system,
but that is not my current goal. Just being able to build a few select
packages with another libc is already interesting.

> Create lots of inheriting packages? Some packages require patches for
> musl and libressl (outside of guix).

That's orthogonal to the packaging of the libcs though, once they are there
maybe people will start experimenting with them.

> This is a bit affected by my experience in Gentoo where I dropped musl
> only because I needed a "vanilla" environment for packaging (and feel
> like not fixing musl problems in addition to maintaining packages).

I can certainly understand that

--
Vincent Legoll