guix-devel

Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Feedback, ideas, discussion: tracking patches, discussions, bugs.
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 11:23:47 +0000

David Craven <address@hidden> writes:

>> All: Please share your experiences, positive and negative, with project
>> management frameworks. Ideally it covers patches, discussions,
>> bugtracking and is accessible and usable at least via web browser.
>
> I think a few people have said they like github, but it gets objected to
> because of certain reasons and I do not want to start a discussion on
> those.
>
> I did find a project called gogs (go git service) which has an ui just like
> github's. Maybe this would be a solution worth exploring.
>
> As for the "I like to use email thing": I like to reply via email to PR's and
> issues too, the only downside I can think of for people liking the email
> workflow would be creating a PR involves pressing the "Create PR"
> button in the web gui. (If I haven't thought of other downsides please
> let me know ;)

> Fetching peoples patchsets through git is simple, and there is
> the possiblility of adding forks of people that contribute regularly as
> git remotes (to make fetching and review even simpler).

This reminds me of my personal workflow in a small package maintaining
project which looks like this (just to give some more input on this,
this is obviously not ideal to scale up to the size of guix.. maybe):

Distributed instances of the git repository, everybody works on a
checkout local to them, every persons instances is a remote you pull
from and do the work to keep them in sync. Discussion happens on psyced.org.
The post-receive hook sends a notice to a psyced server which
distributes it to people subscribed to the channel (git2psyc hook).
This only works for small groups where everybody is competent enough not
to mess up the work.

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org