guix-devel

Re: Store on separate partition

From: Tomáš Čech
Subject: Re: Store on separate partition
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 16:30:37 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:37:49PM +0200, Carlos Sánchez de La Lama wrote:
my (not very big) root partition is almost full, even after
garbage-collecting. I am trying to move the store to a separate
partition, but this is problematic as you need the store at boot time
for the system utilities (and to mount partitions, actually).

I tried to do it recently but failed.  My understanding is that it's
impossible, but I may be wrong.

After giving it some more thinking, I also think this is not
possible. The kernel image itself is in the store (and must be, because
you can have several system generations, each using a different
kernel). Same with initrd images.

I have finally moved the whole root to a bigger disk, not much different
to moving the store as root size (aside from the store) is rather small.

I think it is impossible now but to achieve that you'd need only:

1] to store /gnu/store on separate partition (so grub will find it with its
--search)
2] and have some bind mounts ready in initrd stage.

It would be nice to have more flexibility in this area.

Best regards,

S_W