guix-devel

‘guix lint’ URL checks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: ‘guix lint’ URL checks
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 01:12:09 +0200

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:20:42PM +0200, David Craven wrote:
>> Oh, that's embarrassing. I must have forgotten to change the hash and
>> guix cached the tarball. Is that possible?
>
> If the hash is matched in the store, the URL is not used, so you won't
> see an incorrect URL fail to match the hash.
>
> This is a common cause of buggy patches.
>
> I wonder, are there any drawbacks of making the linter check that the
> URL provides the data named by the hash?

The rationale so far was that ‘guix lint foo’ should be fast (a couple
of seconds at most), and ‘guix lint’ (all packages) should complete in
less than a day.  ;-)

Thus, the ‘source’ and ‘home-page’ checks simply ensure that the URI
points to something accessible instead of actually downloading the
thing.  This is fast and catches the most obvious errors, but has the
drawback of not catching the right-URL-wrong-hash kind of errors.

Ludo’.