guix-devel

Re: Guix support in cachix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix support in cachix
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 23:51:24 +0200

Hello!

Oleg Pykhalov <address@hidden> skribis:

> Domen Kožar <address@hidden> recently was in #guix (IRC) 2 days ago asking
> about support of Guix in cachix.  Also he opened an issue on GitHub:
>
>> I'm opening this issue for interest around supporting Guix.
>
> [1] https://github.com/cachix/cachix/issues/85

Cachix looks interesting!  It’s good to collaboratively provide
binaries.  It’s easier than having everyone set up ‘guix publish’, at
the cost of being more centralized.

The “cachix use <name>” example on https://cachix.org/ glosses over
security “details” though.  I wonder how one gets to authenticate a
particular user of Cachix and to authorize binaries coming from them.
There’s also the issue that said user could be publishing binaries they
themselves obtained from a source that you do not trust yourself.  Tough
issues!

Ludo’.