guix-devel

Re: New ‘guix pull’ - guile-sqlite3 problem

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: New ‘guix pull’ - guile-sqlite3 problem
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 01:12:22 -0700

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> guix environment guix will only work if the daemon is up-to-date
> (right?). I had to get that upgrade sorted, that was the pain.

I think "guix environment guix" should drop you into an environment
where the guix package's inputs are available, regardless of what
version of the daemon you're using.  What matters most is the guix
package definition, since it determines the inputs.

Of course, using a version of guix (the package definition, or the
supporting Guile code) that is far removed in time from the Guix source
you're trying to compile will make it less likely to succeed.  I recall
having quite a hard time trying to compile Guix 0.14.0 from source using
a "guix environment guix" environment that was built by a Guix from an
old version, something around 0.10.0 or so.  Too much changed.

Likewise, using a guix-daemon from sufficiently far in the past or
future (compared to the guix client-side code you're running) might also
cause problems.  However, since the guix-daemon and the protocols it
uses change less frequently, it's less likely to cause problems.

> With regards to guile-sqlite3 it was a path that was missing. Maybe it
> got corrected in later versions and I was just unlucky.

Glad to hear you got it working!

--
Chris