guix-devel

Re: Any interest in using HTML for locally-installed Texinfo documentati

From: sirgazil
Subject: Re: Any interest in using HTML for locally-installed Texinfo documentation?
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 17:58:51 -0500

El 2/04/19 a las 3:27 p. m., Ricardo Wurmus escribió:

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

I hear the argument; it’s true that not everyone uses Emacs or is
familiar with the standalone Info reader.  Rendering of Info manuals in
Emacs is not bad, but a modern browser can do a better job.

Yet I’m not completely sold to the everything in the browser approach,
and everything in JavaScript.  In an ideal world (for me), we’d rather
provide a local documentation viewer that renders Texinfo directly.

As far as I know GNOME’s Yelp is a frontend to different kinds of
documentation and it does support Info files.

It may not work out of the box without setting some environment
variables first, but I remember viewing Info manuals in Yelp not too
long ago when I first learned that it supports Info.

It actually does seem to just work.  Try this:

    yelp info:guix

It works for me too (even searching). But I see some things missing,
although I'm using Yelp 3.18 from the host distro:

* Clicking any index result in an error:
  error on line 1114 at column 428: PCDATA invalid Char value 8
* Info manuals are not in the list of manuals available.

Being able to use Yelp would be great, in my opinion. After all, GNOME is the GNU Desktop.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/