guix-devel

Re: VM image: can we simplify its use?

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: VM image: can we simplify its use?
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 22:12:52 +0200

Hello,

Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. ápr. 4., Cs, 16:57):

> Hello Guix!
>
> I had criticism about the VM image:
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/examples/vm-image.tmpl
>
> Namely that you have to manually set up networking, and then to manually
> resize the image just to be able to run ‘guix pull’, is considered
> inconvenient (rightly so).

I believe that expanding the documentation a bit on how to increase
the -img size,
addin why this is needed, and adding a fist time boot script, to
adjust the partition and
filesystem size to the size of the image would be helpful. Wdyt?

> Would it be an option to install connman or something in the image?

I believe this might be ok, but maybe we could just get by adding a
dhcp service?
That would solve most of the installs, and if that does not work, then
you need at
least some manual steps anyways. Or am I missing sommething?

> What about making the image bigger?  I would expect the QCOW2 file to be
> small, if the disk is full of zero.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ludo’.

Best regards,