guix-devel

Re: ‘staging’ and GNOME updates

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: ‘staging’ and GNOME updates
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 18:53:01 +0200

>> The other GNOME upgrade that I worked on months ago still awaits a
>> rebase onto staging.  I’ll try to get it into good shape to have the
>> build farm build it out, so that more people can test it and provide
>> fixes where needed.
>
> Perhaps we can first merge ‘staging’ in its current form, then make this
> branch the new ‘staging’ and aim for a merge as is (with only fixes
> committed there.)  How does that sound?

Sounds good.

I just tested the new(er) GNOME on staging and unfortunately it is *not*
working.  I reconfigured my workstation which previously also used
GNOME.

I see a mouse pointer appearing, but gnome-shell never seems to properly
start.  (I’m using auto-login, so I don’t see the GDM login prompt first.)

It would be good to see if this can be reproduced in a stateless system,
e.g. a virtual machine.

I already removed ~/.config/gnome-* and ~/.local/share/gnome-shell*, but
this did not change the behaviour.

Help is very welcome!

--
Ricardo