guix-devel

Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:18:42 +0200

Am 10.06.19 um 14:26 schrieb Marius Bakke:
> Hartmut did work on KDE Plasma in the past.  You may find some of his
> packages here:
> <https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix/blob/kde-plasma/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm>.

I'm more than happy if someone picks up this work, as I'm lacking time
to complete.

I just added a *lot* of information to this repo, esp. the state of
packaging, etc.

* 10-TODO-….txt contain the status of my efforts (which might be
outdated) and
  a lot of snippets useful for building packages and making tests pass.

  Please at least skim through these files as they contain lots hof
hints and
  some gems :-)

  The most central of this is the "Status Unit-tests" in
  10-TODO-plasma.txt. This documents the status of building the packages
  required for plasma. I'm encouraging you to use this list to avoid getting
  lost :-)

* Proposed approach

  1. Make the packages listed in "Status Unit-tests" in
     10-TODO-plasma.txt. build and (most) tests pass. This list hopefully
     contains all package required for a minimal Plasma desktop service.

     I suggest using the plasma versions currently package on this branch to
     avoid introducing more issues.

  2. Build a system (see gnu/system/examples/plasma.tmpl and
     gnu/services/desktop.scm) which starts runs a small (or even minimal)
     Plasma desktop.

  3. Define two (maybe more) desktop-services:
     - plasma-minimal
     - plasma
     (- plasma-all-bells-and-wistels)

> I don't think anyone else have attempted it, so your help is very
> welcome!

PanterX, https://www.pantherx.org/ hat hat a bounty on "kwin"
(https://git.pantherx.org/bounty), but no longer exists. Maybe you get
in touch with them. They promised to merge back when they secceed.

> You may find the KDE updater useful before you begin packaging new
> applications:
>
>   ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -t kde -u

Last time I used `-t kde` for updating did not fetch all packages and
I'm afraid it still does not, see
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30345>

--
Regards