guix-devel

Re: GNU ChangeLog Format: <> or []?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GNU ChangeLog Format: <> or []?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 10:23:44 +0200

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Square brackets are used for conditionals, but I also use them for
>> nested entities.  I’m pretty sure I didn’t make it up, but I don’t know
>> where I took it from!
>
> I didn't realize that.  It makes sense, though!  Is using it for nested
> entities a common GNU ChangeLog idiom?

It is in Guile and Guix, but that doesn’t count.  ;-)

We’d need to look for projects not written in C where there’s actual
nesting (GNU C nested functions are rarely used, except in glibc.)

> If so, I wonder if it's worth adding it to the GNU Standards document.

Maybe, though be aware that attempting to change the Standards can be
time-consuming and frustrating…

Thanks,
Ludo’.