guix-devel

Re: Difference between Scintilla's license and ISC

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Difference between Scintilla's license and ISC
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 19:04:41 +0200

Hello Guix!

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think that the Scintilla license is non-free...
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 01:24:15PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>>>     Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
>>>     its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
>>>
>>> and the ISC license is:
>>>     Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for
>>>     any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted,
>>
>> Notice the lack of the little word "with" in the first license.
>
> Interestingly, Debian includes Scite which includes code under the
> Scintilla license (see bottom):
>

> https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/scite/scite_3.7.2-1_copyright

The correct license name is "Historical Permission Notice and
Disclaimer", thanks to Wikipedia [1]

This is the GNU entry:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#HPND

the approved text is here:
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/License:HPND
and Scintilla uses that text AFAIU

I've added HPND to our gnu/licenses.scm and sent a patch, bug number
#36295; give me a go/no go please :-) (I can push it if needed)

Happy Guix! Gio'.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintilla_(software)

--
Giovanni Biscuolo