guix-devel

Re: distinguishing between applications and libraries

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: distinguishing between applications and libraries
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 20:01:35 +0200

Hi Robert!

`guix search` and other user-facing tools ignore non-exported packages.

So you can simply use `define` instead of `define-public` to declare a
package.

For instance:

(define my-package
  )

> - maybe there’s some other simplifications to make in library
>   package definitions? I’d be happy to not copy over a
>   long description that no-one’s ever going to read. :)

The description does not have to be long, in fact it can be just one
line, but it just explain what the package is here for.  Even if it is
not exposed to the user, package maintainers will want to know why it's
here.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt