guix-devel

Re: distinguishing between applications and libraries

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: distinguishing between applications and libraries
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 10:30:00 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 19:33:55 +0200
Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Has it been considered to track applications and libraries
> separately? Along the lines of:
>
> - package definitions could have a `type` field, or a `library`
>   flag or similar

There are also a lot of packages which provide both a library and an
application.

> - `guix search` would ignore library packages by default

Well in the end it just depends whether the derivation has things in "bin" or
not, right?

Long term, we should have something like Debian's command-not-found handler
which automatically searches for the packages that would contain the command
if trying to invoke one which isn't installed.

In fact, why not *use* Debian's command-not-found handler.