guix-devel

Re: distinguishing between applications and libraries

From: Jakob L. Kreuze
Subject: Re: distinguishing between applications and libraries
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 20:24:38 -0400

Hi, Robert and Pierre,

Robert Vollmert <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 30. Jun 2019, at 20:01, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robert!
>>
>> `guix search` and other user-facing tools ignore non-exported
>> packages.
>>
>> So you can simply use `define` instead of `define-public` to declare
>> a package.
>
> Good point, but that breaks down once a library is used by a package
> outside that module. E.g. consider the various ghc-* packages. Running
> “guix search clock” returns `ghc-clock` and `ocaml-mtime`. The first
> needs to be public since it’s used elsewhere, the second is defined as
> public anyway. Should that change?

I took a shot at packaging bettercap[1] this weekend but decided to
finish it later after realizing how many dependencies would need to be
packaged... Ah, how I long for a 'go' importer.

But since we're having this conversation now, I'd like to ask: does it
make sense to use 'define-public' for dependencies like that? I'd be
adding a lot of 'go-github-com-...' packages like those in
'gnu/packages/syncthing.scm'.

[1]: https://www.bettercap.org/

Regards,
Jakob