guix-devel

Increasing the timeout for shepherd services

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Increasing the timeout for shepherd services
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 13:57:00 +0200

Hi everyone,

When running Guix in a docker image, I get systematic failures for
starting several services: syslogd, nscd, openssh. It turns out that in
all these cases the daemons are started, but so slowly that shepherd
declares a failure before they are fully operational.

I managed to fix this for syslogd by setting #:pid-file-timeout to 30
s. But I don't see a similar parameter for nscd and openssh, and
moreover it seems more reasonable to increase the timeout for all
services. Is this possible? I didn't find anything in the Shepherd
manual.

Konrad.