guix-devel

Re: Help needed fixing linux-libre-5.2 on aarch64

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Help needed fixing linux-libre-5.2 on aarch64
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 15:39:45 -0400

Hi,

Pierre Langlois <address@hidden> wrote:
> OK, I've now built kernels with the attached patch on the kernel-updates
> branch for x86_64 and aarch64! I've also tested with
> --system=armhf-linux on the softiron and --system=i868-linux on my x86
> desktop, it all looks good!

Thank you Pierre, this is much appreciated.  I went ahead and pushed the
5.2 update and your fix to 'master'.

Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Any idea why this hack is no longer needed, and also why things behaved
> differently on AArch64?

I'm not sure.  I added that workaround in the commit that enabled
compilation of GCC plugins in our 'linux-libre' packages, and also
enabled use of GCC-7 on all architectures, whereas previously GCC-7 was
used only on x86_64 and i686.

In general, that kind of workaround was often needed when compiling
packages with GCC-7, because the C include path generated by 'set-paths'
was somehow breaking some uses of "#include_next" in the C standard
library, maybe because the path elements were in the wrong order.  I
don't remember the precise details.

Here's the relevant commit, for the record:

commit ce899af10901bf9ed06fe0528b8c4f628ebba4fd