guix-devel

Re: Participating in the next Outreachy round of internships?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Participating in the next Outreachy round of internships?
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 19:15:23 +0200

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:

>> My schedule is quite confused at the moment, but I would be
>> interested in
>> serving as a community coordinator this time. However i am not sure
>> what
>> does it involve. Could you send a message with the details, so that
>> I can
>> find out if I can manage that?
>
> That would be great, considering your previous experience as a mentor.

I second this.

> If it wouldn't work out, I'm also interested in coordinating, but
> would also like to know more about what's expected (from me & from my
> schedule).

The Outreachy website displays this paragraph to explain what the role
of the coordinator entails:

   Each internship project must be associated with a free and open
   source software community participating in Outreachy. That community
   provides funding for interns, either directly from community funds,
   or by finding a company or foundation to sponsor interns. Each
   community has one or more coordinators, who review submitted
   projects, approve mentors, and generally provide a communication link
   between the mentors and Outreachy organizers.

There’s a short list of duties here:
https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/#coordinator

It’s really just about ensuring that there are mentors, that they
propose projects (this is not like GSoC where a rough idea somewhere in
a Wiki is sufficient), that the proposed projects are suitable, that
there really still are mentors after the projects have been approved,
etc.  Much of the work happens *before* the internship begins.

Coordinators are also expected to help mentors reach decisions regarding
interns.  Being familiar with Outreachy from the inside due to past
experience as a mentor will come in handy, but it is not absolutely
required.

--
Ricardo