guix-devel

Re: git-fetch origin output is read-only - and reproducibility

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: git-fetch origin output is read-only - and reproducibility
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 17:49:48 +0200

Hi Danny,

> currently, when using the git-fetch origin, the resulting source will have
> all files read-only.  Further phases trying to do reproducibility patches have
> to manually chmod in order to be able to patch.
>
> Can we change that?  For example change what this origin does or change what
> the build systems do by default?

I think this would be good.  It’s a little annoying when switching from
a tarball to git-fetch because you’ll have to add a phase that makes all
files writable.

This would probably have to be changed in the unpack phase of the
gnu-build-system, which copies files recursively when the sources are a
directory (instead of a tarball).

I don’t know if that’s safe to do.  Are other fetch methods affected as
well?  hg-fetch or svn-fetch, for example?

--
Ricardo