guix-devel

Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?

From: elaexuotee
Subject: Re: how to "guix pack" a profile?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 21:34:01 +0900

> > 1. Composable profiles,
>
> This is already possible.

Would you kindly point me to the documentation? I am failing to find it.

By "composable profiles" what I have in mind is the sum of two existing
profiles and extending them as necessary

    $ guix environment --with-profile saved-profiles/profile-A \
                       --with-profile saved-profiles/profile-B \
                       <packageA>

> This snippet of quotation shows that it is not "easy" for the general
> case.  And the transformation using "--load-path" has not been evoked.
> For example:

> (define-module (foo)
>  #:use-module (guix packages)
>  #:use-module (guix profiles) ;; imagine it is used
>  #:use-module (gnu packages base))
>
> (define (crazy-transformation pkg)
>   "Could do really complicated things"
>   (package
>     (inherit pkg)
>     (name (string-append "ex-" (package-name pkg)))))
>
> (define bonjour
>   (package
>     (inherit hello)
>     (name "bonjour")))
>
> (define-public crazy-bonjour
>   (crazy-transformation bonjour))
>
> then "guix install -L /path/to/foo ex-bonjour".

Thank you for the concrete example.

I guess it wasn't clear in my previous emails, but I proposed *simply
copying /path/to/foo* into the generated profile and letting "manifest.scm"
refer to these copies. Is this obviously broken.

> Thank you for the ideas.  Especially the two ones:
>
>  1. create an environment from a profile
>  2. pack a profile
>
> Well, I do not know if they will happen but it should be cool to have.

I agree. If I'm to make any points, I should just submit some concrete patches.

Again, thank you for your time and patience.

Cheers,