guix-devel

Re: guix search: first line(s) not shown

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: guix search: first line(s) not shown
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 11:33:56 +0200

Ekaitz,

Ekaitz Zarraga 写道:
With the recent adoption of $PAGER in `guix search` I'm experiencing an issue. The some of the firsts lines are not shown if the output long enough to cover the full screen so I can't see the first package name. It forces me to scroll down and up again.
[…]
Is this happening to others too?

Yes! It looks like (at least) rendering ‘description’ doesn't account for the length of the "description: " prefix itself, making the first line too long. That confuses less and/or makes it wrap non-deterministically.

After invoking ‘guix search foo’, name and version are missing, and:

description: This package aims to provide a one-stop solution to requirements for footnotes. It offers: Multiple footnote + apparatus superior to that of `manyfoot'. Footnotes can be formatted in separate paragraphs, or be run into a

After scrolling down and then up:

description: This package aims to provide a one-stop solution to requirements for footnotes. It offers: Multiple footnoteus superior to that of `manyfoot'. Footnotes can be formatted in separate paragraphs, or be run into a

(‘footnoteus’). The description ‘shrinks’ by 2 lines, making room for the name and version fields at the top.

Kind regards,

T G-R