guix-devel

Re: Questions about Git and workflow

From: HiPhish
Subject: Re: Questions about Git and workflow
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 22:51:29 +0200

On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 22:33:53 CEST Leo Famulari wrote:
> I recommend not using a different local state directory. There should
> not be any negative (or even observable) effects of your experimental
> artifacts being in /gnu/store. I haven't tried managing multiple stores
> but I assume you'd need to run a separate daemon for each, configured
> for the correct directories.

OK, I'll try that. My main concern was with packages I actually want to run.
For example, last time I wanted to update the Neovim version, so I changed the
definition and installed Neovim in order to try it out a bit. But doing so
replaced my previous Neovim installation. I know the old one was still in the
store, but if I had borked the update I would have had the problem that my
text editor, which is what I use to edit Guile scripts, was messed up.

It's not a major problem, but still an annoyance. Perhaps instead of `install`
I should have done `environment --ad-hoc`.