guix-devel

Re: Signing emails with Emacs 27.1

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: Signing emails with Emacs 27.1
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 19:16:26 +0200

Hello Pierre,

thanks to your recent commit (852ae64e11 gnu: Remove emacs-seq package.)
I was able to upgrade to emacs 27.1: kudos \O/ !

I'm using notmuch as MUA and experienced this signing problem too:

mml-secure-epg-sign: Couldn’t find any signer names; try setting
`mml-secure-smime-sign-with-sender'.

when trying to sign **with openpgp**, non with S/MIME (aka I use the #secure
method=pgpmime mode=sign" tag)

Pierre Langlois <pierre.langlois@gmx.com> writes:

[...]

> Right, it works with these variables set:
>
>     (setq mml-secure-openpgp-signers '("KEYID"))

No need to explicitly set this if:

>     (setq mml-secure-opengpg-sign-with-sender t)
                           ^ s/gpg/pgp

I set (setq mml-secure-openpgp-sign-with-sender t)

[...]

> I'm not sure what's broken, this used to "just work" by default without
> having to tell emacs where to find the signer key

This used to just work by default for me too, probably it's due a change
in default behaviour of message mode [1]:

*** 'mml-secure-openpgp-sign-with-sender' sets also "gpg --sender".
When 'mml-secure-openpgp-sign-with-sender' is non-nil, message sender's
email address (in addition to its old behavior) will also be used to
set gpg's "--sender email@domain" option.

The option is useful for two reasons when verifying the signature:

 1. GnuPG's TOFU statistics are updated for the specific user id
    (email) only.  See gpg(1) man page about "--sender".

 2. GnuPG's "--auto-key-retrieve" functionality can use WKD (web key
    directory) method for finding the signer's key.  You need GnuPG
    2.2.17 to fully benefit from this feature.  See gpg(1) man page for
    "--auto-key-retrieve".

I still do not understand why the "old behaviour" doesn't work with 27.1
(with 26.3 worked) but you have found the solution :-)

Thanks! Gio'

[1] https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/emacs/news/NEWS.27.1

--
Giovanni Biscuolo