guix-devel

Re: branch master updated: gnu: Add r-bisquerna.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: branch master updated: gnu: Add r-bisquerna.
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:31:29 +0200

Roel Janssen <roel@gnu.org> writes:

>> > +(define-public r-bisquerna
>> > +  (package
>> > +   (name "r-bisquerna")
>> > +   (version "1.0.4")
>> > +   (source (origin
>> > +            (method url-fetch)
>> > +            (uri (cran-uri "BisqueRNA" version))
>> > +            (sha256
>> > +             (base32
>> > +              "01g34n87ml7n3pck77497ddgbv3rr5p4153ac8ninpgjijlm3jw
>> > 2"))))
>>
>> Why is this in (gnu packages bioinformatics) and not in (gnu packages
>> cran)?
>
> It seemed so "bioinformatics"-specific.  But you're right, it's a CRAN
> package, so that may be a better fit.  Shall I move it to CRAN?

If you have time to do that, yes please.  Some time ago I started a
half-hearted migration of R packages from (gnu packages bioinformatics)
to (gnu packages cran) and (gnu packages bioconductor).  It’s not
supremely important, but I think in the long term we’d like to have CRAN
things in (gnu packages cran) and Bioconductor things in (gnu packages
bioconductor), because it’s deliciously unsurprising. :)

>> > +   (synopsis "Decomposition of Bulk Expression with Single-Cell
>> > Sequencing")
>>
>> Please use lowercase where it would be normally used.
>
> My mistake. I will take better care of this in the future.

Thank you!

Perhaps we could sprinkle some smarts over the CRAN importer to do this
automatically, but with R packages we often have names of methods that
should be upper case (like “Bayes*” or “SNPs”), so I have shied away
from developing heuristics for that.

Thanks for adding more R packages!

--
Ricardo