guix-devel

Re: More checks for Makefile.am:assert-no-store-file-names ?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: More checks for Makefile.am:assert-no-store-file-names ?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:27:18 +0200

Hi!

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> skribis:

> When running "make dist" there are some checks run, such as checking for
> hard-coded store paths.
>
> Would it be a good idea to add this or a similar check to
> etc/git/pre-push and/or guix lint?
>
> Would it make sense to set up a job to run "make dist" on the build farm
> to catch these problems?
>
> # Make sure we're not shipping a file that embeds a local /gnu/store file
> name.
> assert-no-store-file-names:
>       $(AM_V_at)if grep -r --exclude=*.texi --exclude=*.info
> \
>            --exclude=*.info-[0-9] --exclude=*.dot
> \
>            --exclude=*.eps --exclude-dir=bootstrap
> \
>            --exclude=guix-manual.pot --exclude=guix-manual.*.po
> \
>            --exclude=guix-cookbook.pot --exclude=guix-cookbook.*.po
> \
>            --exclude=guix-prettify.el
> \
>            --exclude=ChangeLog*
> \
>            --exclude=binutils-boot-2.20*.patch
> \
>            -E "$(storedir)/[a-z0-9]{32}-" $(distdir) ;
> \
>       then
> \
>         echo "error: store file names embedded in the distribution" >&2 ;
> \
>         exit 1 ;
> \
>       fi
>
> Checking this more often could prevent:
>
>   bug#43005: make dist fails: "store file names embedded in the distribution"
>
> It would be nice to catch these bugs earlier, especially when they are
> low down on dependency chain!

This one was a bit of unusual case but yeah, it’d be nice to catch
earlier anyway.  I’m not sure where to test it though: ‘guix lint’ would
miss some of the other issues, and a plain makefile rule might see too
much.

Probably the best thing to do is a “make dist” job under continuous
integration, as you suggest.

Thanks,
Ludo’.