guix-devel

Re: doc: Channel subsection order?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: doc: Channel subsection order?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 18:39:47 +0200

Hi!

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> I was re-reading the section about Channels and the subsections do not
> appear to me "logical".  Currently, it is:
>
>   1. Channel Authentication
>   2. Using a Custom Guix Channel
>   3. Specifying Additional Channels
>   4. Declaring Channel Dependencies
>   5. Package Modules in a Sub-directory
>   6. Specifying Channel Authorizations
>   7. Primary URL
>   8. Writing Channel News
>   9. Replicating Guix
>
> and to me, the progression when reading is smoother with this order:
>
>   1. Using a Custom Guix Channel
>   2. Specifying Additional Channels
>   3. Channel Authentication
>   4. Declaring Channel Dependencies
>   etc.

Yes, I agree!

I think we should:

  1. Move “Channels” to the top level, with real subsections as nodes.

  2. Clearly distinguish between using a channel and developing a
     channel.  The former should come first.

  3. Probably move ‘guix pull’ and ‘guix time-machine’ under that
     section.

  4. Add a tutorial-like section on how to work on your own channel.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.