guix-devel

Re: Guix Paths

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Guix Paths
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:06:07 +0200

Hi!

On 2020-09-21 16:45, Buttery Pancake wrote:
which need to be user-writable, whereas the rest of /gnu only need to be
writable by the daemon. This means that we end up mounting the same
directories more than once with different permissions.

Yes. As default, wouldn't it be better to use `/guix/guix-var-stuff`
instead of `/var/guix/guix-var-stuff`? Also, bringing
`/run/guix-other-stuff` under `/guix/guix-other-stuff`.

/run is ephemeral: it is required to be a tmpfs on ‘modern’ system(d)s, and to be at least emptied at boot on others. Thus nothing in it should ever be

backed-up, snap-shot, [or] mounted-separately [more than it already is today.]

As for

won't interfere with other stuffs on file-system (like ever).

I don't think it interferes, does it?  How?

I think adding yet another non-standard / subdirectory should be done only for very good reason. /gnu has it, so would moving to /gnu/db/, but I don't see a case for the others to be moved.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser. Excuse or enjoy my brevity.