guix-devel

Re: Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Outreachy contribution & guidance with guile.
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 15:27:54 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 18:27, Aniket Patil <aniket112.patil@gmail.com> wrote:
> I sent patches for gnu/packages/cran.scm. I am planning to add more
> variables to cran.scm file. Meanwhile, I am writing my final outreachy
> application. I am thinking about translating guix or gnu docs in Indian
> languages, which I know. Also, as an emacs user, who is trying to
> understand lisp to get comfortable around emacs, I was a bit confused
> about whether shall I learn lisp first or guile first? What do you suggest?

Nice!  Thank you.

About translation, you should discuss with Julien (roptat) because they
is managing a new Weblate to help in this area.

About learning Lisp, Emacs Lisp or Scheme/Guile, the answer depends on
your background about programming: Do you already know a language?  If
yes, which one?  Did you do « Scientific Programming » (applied maths, e.g.,
linear algebra &co.) or « Algorithmic Programming » (e.g., implement
sort, tree, data structure, etc.)?

With no Lisp background, pedestrian material about Emacs Lisp:

  <https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eintr.html>

and about Scheme/Racket:

  <https://htdp.org/2020-8-1/Book/index.html>

otherwise, suggestion really depends on the above questions. :-)

All the best,
simon