guix-devel

Re: Changes to the branching workflow

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: Changes to the branching workflow
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:24:50 +0100

Am 12.02.21 um 21:49 schrieb Andreas Enge:
 From what I understood of the discussion, I would also go with Tobias's and
Efraim's suggestion: There is a core-updates branch that is constantly open
and where people can push; this does not seem to leave a possibility of
mistake, almost by definition. Then we can branch off core-updates-frozen,
which is frozen :), except for cherry-picked bug fixing commits and merges
from master. Once it is finished, it is merged into master and deleted.

This is what I understood, too.

Technically speaking, this is the same as your suggestion, Leo, but it
avoids the constant dance between core-updates, that disappears and
reappears under the name core-updates-next, that disappears and reappears
under the name core-updates, and so on.
It's even worse: When removing staging and core-updates at Savannah, this does not effect local copies. Thus one might push these branches to Savannah, which might lead to a lot of confusion and trouble.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |