guix-devel

Re: Xpdf with or without Qt

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Xpdf with or without Qt
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:02:48 +0100

Hello Vincent,

thanks for your quick reply!

Am Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 05:27:47PM +0100 schrieb Vincent Legoll:
>   If Qt isn't found, the GUI viewer (xpdf) won't be built, but the
>   command line tools will still be built.

Okay, I see. So they changed the program, and we should follow, although
I am not that happy about it - for a "more standard" pdf reader, I might
as well switch to evince or okular.

So I would like to ask a help-guix type question (but keep it here since
the context is already set up):
How can I personally keep the old variant?
Should I create a custom channel with xpdf@4.02? Or even xpdf@5 to have
a higher version number, but with the old 4.02 package code and source?
Or a manifest including some time-machine thing, or a personal package
transformation that compiles xpdf --with-source=...?

Andreas