guix-devel

Speed up package installation by using images instead of archives (like

From: Mekeor Melire
Subject: Speed up package installation by using images instead of archives (like distri)?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 13:59:18 +0200

Hello Guix!

On the Guix-blog¹, Ludo already mentioned the lightning talk of Michael Stapelberg on the “distri” package manager which installs packages faster than common package managers by an order of magnitude.

Common package managers install a package by downloading it as an (compressed) archive and extracting the archive. But this extraction takes very long as it requires to create dozens of files on the file system which is an expensive IO operation.

In contrast, distri downloads the package as an (squashfs) image. That's it. The image will then be mounted (which is not an expensive IO operation) as a read-only virtual-file-system. (But as it's not recommendable to mount as many images as there are installed packages, distri mounts the package-images lazily, i.e. right before they are being used.)

(At least, the above explanation reflects my understanding.)

Thus, I wonder: (0) Does it make sense to make Guix follow this idea as well? I.e. should we make Guix install packages by downloading images and mounting those instead of extracting archives? (1) Does this even fit into Guix technically? I.e. how hard would it be to implement this? (2) And would it even be worth it? I.e. how much faster would Guix become?

I hope for an exciting discussion!

mekeor

--

Footnotes: