guix-devel

Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 21:33:07 +0200

On Fri, 2021-04-23 at 15:18 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Léo and Raghav, you need to keep learning our workflow around
> security
> updates.  It's not okay to remove security patches and later update a
> package to a fixed version in a different commit. `git rebase` is the
> tool to learn for cases like this one.

I knew about this but I didnt feel like telling Raghav to do yet
another rebase. I felt like Raghav was taking on with so much already.
The rebase was specially complicated because Raghav's commit changed
indentation, git has bad quite bad UX for cases like these. At the time
I had lots of things to handle also and couldnt spend lots of time on
it myself. I didnt feel like blocking the merge of these patches for
commit history was worth it at all. Such blocking could have hindered
the GNOME upgrade effort even more. Thankfully now there's lots of
energy being put to it, at the time there wasnt anyone else than Raghav
and me.

Léo