guix-devel

Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: A "cosmetic changes" commit that removes security fixes
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 03:46:57 -0400

Hi Léo,

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> writes:

> On Fri, 2021-04-23 at 15:18 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> Léo and Raghav, you need to keep learning our workflow around
>> security updates.  It's not okay to remove security patches and later
>> update a package to a fixed version in a different commit. `git
>> rebase` is the tool to learn for cases like this one.
>
> I knew about this but I didnt feel like telling Raghav to do yet
> another rebase. I felt like Raghav was taking on with so much already.

This response is what native English speakers call a "red herring"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring>: something that misleads or
distracts from a relevant or important question.

Why do I say that?  As I pointed out elsewhere in this thread,

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2021-04/msg00366.html

it appears that Raghav didn't actually remove the security fixes; it
appears that *you* did.  Therefore, I fail to see how it could have been
avoided by asking Raghav to do another rebase.

>From the IRC logs cited in the message above, it appears that you took
the liberty of modifying Raghav's "cosmetic changes" commits to also
remove security fixes in the re-indented packages, while claiming in the
summary lines that you were "ungraft[ing]" cairo and glib.

https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/guix/commit/a045a48dd961f0c5c3d536dcc3fd21d9c08d2d50

https://git.sr.ht/~lle-bout/guix/commit/6477daa338fbf1c9edacfc3690aca77cacfe0008

Can you please explain what went wrong here?

      Thanks,
        Mark

--
Support Richard Stallman against the vicious disinformation campaign
against him and the FSF.  See <https://stallmansupport.org> for more.