guix-devel

Re: error building new package (In procedure chdir: Not a directory)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: error building new package (In procedure chdir: Not a directory)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 08:50:32 +0200

Hello Julien and Tobias,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> I think that's because the patch first extracts the archive, chdirs to
> the first directory, and applies the patch. But if there's no
> directory, it can't chdir and fails.

Yes, that's the problem: I thought that

  (patches (search-patches "ruby-taskjuggler-fix-TjTime.patch"))

was working the same as with other (origin...)s declarations but AFAIU
it does not work with "rubygems-uri"s

> Note that (with-directory-excursion ".") does nothing :)

Oh OK, anyway that piece of code is useless since "after-unpack" there
are no more gzipped files... obviously they are already unpacked :-D

> Le 22 juin 2021 12:35:45 GMT-04:00, Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> a écrit :

[...]

> [...]

I'm new to gem's but after I've "manually" downloaded
https://rubygems.org/downloads/taskjuggler-3.7.1.gem I see that the
three files listed above are part of the gem file structure: I guess
ruby-build-system is trying to apply the patch before unpacking the *.gz
archives, but AFAIU it should do it after unpacking.

I'll try to study the code to see if I understand how it works
and if this is a bug, but unfortunately I've little time this days.

Thank you for your help! Giovanni

[...]

--
Giovanni Biscuolo