guix-devel

Re: New signing key

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: New signing key
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 16:31:01 +0200

Hi,

Eric Bavier <bavier@posteo.net> skribis:

> On Wed, 2021-06-23 at 15:48 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>>   In
>> d1d2bf3eb6ba74b058969756a97a30aec7e0c4d1 I added your new key and
>> renamed the old one, but perhaps we can just remove the old one, if the
>> old sub-key is still in the new one?
>
> I think the old key is still there, yes.  I didn't remove it, just
> added the new key.

OK.  I removed the former key file from the ‘keyring’ branch in commit
359ca340273213f7bafda455c9f89db55d69849c; I checked with ‘guix git
authenticate’ that we can still authenticate former commits.

>> In the future, unless you lose control of the key, it’s even better if
>> you do it yourself: push a commit signed with the old key that
>> introduces the new key.  Otherwise we have to trust that you really are
>> the one who uploaded the new key on Savannah.
>
> In this case, the old key had already expired.  I think others here
> have reset the expiry date on their keys before?  I like the idea of
> honoring the expiration dates I set, and creating a new key.  But I'm
> also willing to adopt whatever we decide is a best practice.

I think either way is fine.  I set an expiry date a few months in the
future, and I change it a few weeks before it expires, the idea being
that if I lose control of the key (e.g., laptop stolen) it’ll expire not
too longer after that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.